There are so many decisions to be made when planning to travel away from home – but even more to think about when you’re an ostomate hoping to get away.
Listed below we have compiled a list of tips to help you cover all eventualities and enjoy your well deserved holiday, and arrive feeling relaxed and refreshed.
Travel Check List
- Check your baggage limit with your airline as carrying a large quantity of supplies can make a big difference to the weight of luggage. Easyjet do offer an extra 10kg of free hand baggage for the carriage of medical supplies. (See Section 12 Passengers with specific requirements – disability, medical and health)
- Carry your supplies in your hand luggage in case of lost baggage. (a small suite case with wheels is a good idea).
- Do not over pack cases as the luggage may become too heavy to lift and add to the risk of muscle damage or a parastomal hernia.
- Take extra supplies with you as different foods and drinks could cause your stoma to behave differently, workout what you would normally use and times it by 2 also allow for airport delays etc.
- If you cut your own back plates its worth while pre cutting several for the journey as scissors will have to be carried in your main luggage.
- Carry a small emergency kit with you that you could discreetly take to the toilet in the airport or onboard the plane without having to open up all your hand baggage in case an emergency bag change is required.
- If you are travelling to a warm climate store all your supplies in a cool area in your room as high temperatures can affect the adhesives on supplies.
- If your destination country recommends that you drink bottled water it is also a good idea to use bottled water to clean / irrigate your colostomy.
- Weather you are staying in a hotel at home or abroad, it’s a good idea to try to make sure to get an en-suite bathroom. This will enable you to change your pouches easily, in private and at leisure, at a convenient time.
- It’s a good idea to check if spare supplies are available in the country you are visiting.
Other Related Travel Pages