Derma Sciences | MEDIHONEY® | Derma Sciences Online
Barrier cream containing active Medihoney antibacterial honey. Helps to reduce inflammation, prevent maceration, excoriation and irritation resulting from effects of incontinence and diarrhoea.
Can be applied to injured skin, peri-wound areas, pressure areas and skin folds.
Moisturisers and protects dry skin.
- Protects at-risk skin from breakdown.
- Protects wound margins from exudate damage.
- Protects skin from damage caused by friction or shear (pressure ulcers).
- Treatment of incontinence-associated dermatitis and atopic eczema.
- Treats blistered skin.
- Prevention and treatment of maceration and excoriation.
- Helps maintain the skin pH.
- Treats candidiasis and intertrigo.
Suitable for all skin types, including neonates, children and older people.
Uses for the Ostomate.
- Protects skin in a skin fold under a parastomal hernia.
- Protects skin from pouch rubbing on leg and abdomen in warm weather.
- Protects skin around an ACE or Button in Children.
History of honey use in wound care
Honey has been used in wound healing for centuries. Evidence for its’ wide range of medicinal use has been found in ancient writings such as the Edwin Smith Papyrus in the 17th century BC. Honey was used during World War I and II. Only in the last decade have microbiologists begun to understand the uniqueness of the Leptospermum species.